Target has made announcements of expectations and initiatives the retailer is prioritizing. In order to get more time in front of your Target Buyer, it will be important to show that your team is also prioritizing Target’s initiatives. These include sustainability, innovation, productivity/profitability, stores as hubs, and building out long-tail assortment.
At Harvest Group, we’re coaching our Target clients through these strategies in terms of their own business in order to get time with their Target Buyers and have successful meetings. In this blog post, we’ll overview 4 tips that we believe will help your team as well.
1) Know and talk Target’s major initiatives
Whether it is assortment or promotion recommendations or day-to-day discussions on the business, it’s important to align to Target’s key strategies in wording whenever possible.
Example of a major Target initiative: “Stores as hub” strategy
- Drive up, order pickup, and same-day delivery grew 91% in 2020 and now account for more than 50% of all digital sales.
- 95% of all sales are fulfilled by stores.
- Target is continuously expanding range of services for Drive Up and Order Pickup, recently adding adult beverages for drive up to 1200 doors.
- Target wants to make sure that Suppliers are prioritizing multi-channel approaches to serve Guests.
- Is your digital game on-point?
- Are you working with Roundel?
- Do you have a content and search strategy?
2) Align with Target’s item focus
Target is focused on Suppliers developing and proposing new items that are sustainable, meet a broad range of price points, or appeal to a diverse Guest base.
Sustainability: Align to “Target Forward” to be a net-zero enterprise by 2040.
- From the retailer: “By 2040, Target plans for 100% of our owned brand products to be designed for a circular future. Our teams will continue designing to eliminate waste, using materials that are regenerative, recycled or sourced sustainably, to create products that are more durable, easily repaired or recyclable.”
Pricing and Promotions
- Affordability every day.
- Clear, compelling, and consistent promotions.
- Circle offers personalized offers to over 100M Guests based on their level of engagement.
- Ensure items meet the broad shopper profile that is the Target Guest; understand the demographics and create and market products to these guests.
3) Focus on Digital
- Prioritize achieving 100 on the Content Scorecard. Add videos, Rich Content, and optimize search terms to drive sales.
- Develop an omni plan, inclusive of Roundel and paid search advertising.
4) Deliver Joy
Delight Guests with unique in-store and digital experiences. Being consistently in-stock is critical to a positive Guest experience. Proactively communicate supply constraints or forecast insights as needed.
We hope you found these tips helpful. If you’re interested in discussing your Target business and better your relationship with your Target Buyer, reach out to us at email@example.com or fill out our contact form. We’d be happy to talk!