What’s the News? Walmart Rich Media is Coming Back!
Walmart recently announced that at the end of February 2022 Walmart.com will once again support Rich Media Enhanced Content on product pages. At this time, Walmart will only be supporting video and 360-spin images. Marketing modules, comparison charts, and other forms of Rich Media will not be supported, but Walmart has communicated their intention to support these other forms later in 2022 or early 2023.
Walmart has also communicated that videos and 360-spin images can be loaded in their Item 360 system or through 3rd party systems now (prior to the end of February), and the assets will show on site when Walmart releases the update. Further, Walmart indicated that videos and 360-spin images that were already populating pages before the new site was released are still housed in the backend system and will show on the item page once the update is released. Currently, there is no way to check if your item already has a video or 360-spin loaded in the backend, and the only way to know for sure will be to see if something populates upon the new release.
What Should You Do?
While no specific date was given for the update to show on-site, the end of February is quickly approaching, and we encourage Walmart vendors to gather assets in preparation. Below is the list of requirements for both videos and 360-spin images, as well as some helpful resource links.
Walmart Video Requirements:
- File Type: .MP4 (preferred) or .MOV
- Must include closed captions if there’s a script as required by Walmart
- Must include .VTT file as required by Walmart if video includes a script
- VTT (video talk track) files look like text docs and include the time stamp associated with the words being said. This allows e-readers to follow along and allow access to all consumers
- If you do not have VTT files created and your video has dialogue, Happy Scribe is a great site to use and is inexpensive. You can both add closed captions to your video and download the VTT file.
- No more than 30MB (Note: if it’s a large file with a short video, there will be a lag time when consumers try to open it on the item page)
- No maximum length, BUT most consumers will not watch a long video unless it’s a How-To video. If it’s highlighting your product only, try to have it be less than 30 seconds. The optimum length is 10 seconds, but that is not doable for many items.
Walmart 360-Spin Image Requirements:
- • File Type: .PNG or .JPG
- • Size: At least 1500 x 1500 pixels and less than 5MB
- • Can have up to 24 images of slightly different angle shots that when seen in order are a continuous spin of the item.
- • Examples of 360-spin images
- • 1WorldSync Image Capture Service – option for 360-spin capture technology
Harvest Can Help
Harvest is committed to ensuring our clients receive as much assistance as needed to get videos and 360-spin images loaded to Walmart’s system.